Jump to main content
Loading page...
Visitkouvola uses cookies. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the usage of cookies. Close X
Moisio Art and Catering Manor in Kouvola

Manor life

Experience history in Kouvola's very own Downton Abbey.

Share on social media

Moisio Art and Catering Manor is known as a place for holding cultural events, weddings, birthday parties, family parties and Christmas parties, but it is also known for its changing art exhibitions.

In the summer, the rooms on the upper floor of the manor house are filled with works of art. On display are works by both well-known artists and rising talents.

The upstairs also houses a memorial exhibition dedicated to Wäinö Aaltonen (1894-1966). Its sculptures and paintings come from the manor’s own collection. Among the better-known are the Marjatta sculpture and the portrait statue of Aleksis Kivi.

Mamselli – the keeper of the key

Moisio Art and Catering Manor was born of the enthusiasm for art of Seija and Pentti Hasu, a shopkeeping couple. The Hasus, who from 1968 operated a butcher’s stall in Kouvola Market Hall, collected art and antiques as a counterbalance to their day jobs.

When the works began to be so many that they filled their home, the idea was born to display their collection for all to see.

At the same time, the municipality of Elimäki was seeking an entrepreneur to look after Moisio Manor all year round. The lease agreement was drawn up in spring 1997, and the Hasus’ daughter Anne Hasu was appointed to run the business. She called herself ‘Mamselli’ rather than giving herself the title of ‘managing director’.

In the history of the manor, there have been many ‘mamselli’s’ i.e. female housekeepers who kept on their belts a key to every building as well as, of course, to the money box.

The new grandeur of Engel

The manor house completed in 1820 was commissioned by Major Fredrik af Forselles, a hero of the Finnish War, and over the years it has served as an old peoples’ home and a school for home-helps.

The Empire-style manor designed by architect Carl Ludwig Engel is once again living through noble times. The downstairs serves as a restaurant for special functions and houses a catering service available all year round. The entrance fee includes a cup of coffee and a pastry.

Displays of the Hasus’ own collections constitute a large part of the house’s present interior. It contains paintings and sculptures from old masters such as Wäinö Aaltonen, Jussi Mäntynen, Johannes Takanen and Ville Vallgren.

The splendour of the manor house’s past can be admired in the upstairs banqueting rooms, whose colour scheme has been returned to its original state. The paintings and ornaments on the ceiling and the classical furniture really add to the old-fashioned manor house atmosphere.